This small town lies in the northern part of Gonzales County and is host to oil and gas commerce, development, and housing due to discovery of the Eagle Ford Shale.
Gonzales, the county seat of Gonzales County, is at the confluence of the Guadalupe and San Marcos rivers, on U.S. highways 90, 97, and 183 in the north central part of the county. As the westernmost point of Anglo-American settlement and the closest town to San Antonio de Bexar, it was the center of much of the Texas revolutionary activity. On October 2, 1835, Texans resisted Mexican dragoons sent to retrieve the town cannon. Challenging the Mexicans to "come and take it," the Texans rallied around the gun and fought the battle of Gonzales, the first skirmish of the Texas Revolution. The city has prided itself on the term "Come and Take it" since the battle.
Gonzales's history brings tourists to the area, with the Old Jail Museum featured as the Visitor Information Center and the office of the Gonzales Chamber of Commerce & Agriculture. Other tourism activities include the self-guided Walking and Driving Tours of the downtown historic district, Memorial Museum, Gonzales Pioneer Village Living History Center, Outdoor Interpretive Exhibits at Memorial Museum and Independence Park, Palmetto State Park along the San Marcos River, and Lake Wood Park along the Guadalupe River.
Gonzales hosts many recreational activities including five city parks, a 9-hole golf course, and the JB Wells Park consisting of a 169 acre park with RV hookups and host to many events including youth rodeo finals.